Power Shut Off – Generator Grant Program
The Government of South Australia has established the Generator Grant Program to support South Australian homeowners, businesses and primary producers in the River Murray regions affected by the high water flow event on the River Murray to buy a generator.
• The grant is available to those who have been notified by SA Power Networks (SAPN) or the South Australian State Emergency Service (SES) that their electricity will be disconnected or interrupted due to the flood event.
The River Murray regions include the Alexandrina Council, Berri Barmera Council, Coorong District Council, District Council of Karoonda East Murray, District Council of Loxton Waikerie, Mid Murray Council, Murray Bridge Council, Pastoral Unincorporated Area and Renmark Paringa Council.
Eligible parties can apply to the Department for Industry, Innovation and Science (the Department) for one of the following one-off grants to contribute towards the purchase of a suitable generator to enable them to remain at their home or continue operating their business or primary production activity during the flood event:
- Up to $500 for a household; or
- Up to $4,000 for a business or primary producer.
The grant payment will be the lesser of the generator purchase price or maximum grant value as applies above.
To be eligible for the grant, the following criteria must be met:
Able to provide evidence that you purchased a suitable generator on or after 1 November 2022 for the purpose of remaining at your residence/continuing your business or primary production activity while power is disconnected/interrupted; and
Able to provide evidence that you received a power disconnection or interruption notice for a principal place of residence/principal place of business or primary production activity within the River Murray regions related to the flood event.
- Businesses and primary producers will also need to demonstrate:
- Having a valid and active Australian Business Number (ABN) and are carrying on the operation of a business or primary production activity located in the River Murray regions; and
- Do not engage in illegal activity.
Applications can be submitted via the Department’s Generator Grant Program form available on its website (https://business.sa.gov.au/) or applicants can be assisted in completing an online form or hardcopy form at the relief centres that have been established.
- Applicants will have to declare that they meet the Eligibility Criteria when submitting an application and provide the following evidence to support the claim:
- Copy of a valid tax receipt clearly showing purchase date, purchase price and description of generator; and
- Copy of a notice received from SAPN or SES advising of the power disconnection/interruption at the resident/business owner’s address within the designated region. Note this could be in the form of a letter, text message, push notification alert, or email.
- On receipt of the application, the Department will verify the relevant Eligibility Criteria has been met. The Department may contact the Applicant to request further information if required.
- On verification of eligibility, the grant will be paid directly into the applicant’s bank account using the details provided in the application form.
- Grants will be available up to a date to be determined by the Department having regard to flow predictions, flood water levels and advice from SAPN.
Reservation of Rights
The Treasurer of South Australia reserves the right to:
- administer the Generator Grant Program and conduct the process for the assessment and approval of applications to the Generator Grant Program in such manner as he thinks fit;
- change the structure, procedures, nature, scope or timing of, or alter the terms of participation in the process or overall Generator Grant Program (including but not limited to changing eligibility, timeframes, terms and conditions, submission and compliance of applications), where in such circumstances notice will be provided to applicants on the Department’s website; and
- consider or accept, or refuse to consider or accept, any application which:
- is lodged other than in accordance with these Guidelines; or
- is lodged after the relevant closing date; or
- is otherwise non-conforming in any respect.