South Australia is focusing on lowering greenhouse gas emissions across the state.
Your business may find customers, finance providers, supply chain participants and employees are asking you questions about the impact your business is having on the environment.
As part of the United Nations, Australia has agreed to the goal of limiting global temperature increase to well below two degrees Celsius. One of the ways this will be achieved is the global effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by moving away from fossil fuels and towards a greener economy.
South Australia is committed to reaching more than 50% reduction on 2005 emissions levels by 2030 and net zero emissions by 2050.
Now is the time for your business to take action, by working towards becoming a net zero business.
What is a net zero business?
A net zero business is simply a business who adds no additional greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
That is, greenhouse gas emissions are reduced as close to zero as possible and any remaining emissions are offset by investing in projects that avoid, reduce or remove greenhouse gases.
Greenhouse gas emissions include carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), sulphur hexafluoride (SF6) and nitrogen trifluoride (NF3).
Making environmental claims about your business
If you wish to make environmental claims about your business or your product or service, they will need to be honest, accurate and able to be substantiated. You should clearly explain, in simple language, the positive impact that your business, product or service has on the environment. Making misleading or false environmental claims is called 'greenwashing'.
See the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) website for guidance.
Helpful links and resources
- Climate Neutral Now is an initiative of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change inviting organisations and individuals to pledge to measure, reduce, contribute and report carbon emissions. There are many benefits in becoming a participant of the Climate Neutral Now Initiative.
- Climate Active is an ongoing partnership between the Australian Government and Australian businesses to drive voluntary climate action. The brand represents Australia’s collective effort to measure, reduce, and offset carbon emissions to lessen our negative impact on the environment.
- Carbon Neutral Adelaide works collaboratively to make the City of Adelaide a carbon neutral city. It provides a range of incentives, resources and tools that will help businesses start the carbon neutral journey.
- Green Industries SA's Business Sustainability Program assists South Australian businesses and industry sectors to accelerate sustainable change and transition to a more circular economy.
- Depending on your location, your local council may also have incentives and resources available to assist.
- Accelerating Net-Zero Emissions for Business is a pilot program that educates and coaches participants to evaluate the business case for net-zero and turn ideas into a profitable strategy.