Regional South Australia encompasses a diverse range of environments, with our regions being home to a vast number of South Australia’s most iconic landscapes and tourist attractions.
With the Regional Jobs Support and Incentive Program, eligible students can receive financial support to work in remote parts of South Australia to support a variety of important industries that make a significant contribution to the state’s economy.
What is the Regional Jobs Support and Incentive Program?
Our regions are fundamental to South Australia’s economy, but the closure of state and international borders as a result of COVID-19 has led to a number of industries who rely on seasonal workers facing serious workforce shortages.
The Regional Jobs Support and Incentive Program for Students is designed to support eligible local, interstate and international students with costs involved with eligible work in eligible regional locations, so we can support the industries and regions that keep our state on the global map.
If you're an individual aged 16 years and over who is a current student, or has undertaken study in 2020, you might be eligible for a payment incentive to help cover the costs of working in a remote setting.
DOWNLOAD THE GUIDELINES
What is the eligibility criteria?
To be eligible for the Regional Jobs Support and Incentive Program, you must:
- Be an individual aged 16 years and over who is a current student, or has undertaken study in 2020, at a:
- Secondary School;
- TAFE; or
- Registered Training Organisation.
- Have commenced Eligible Work in an Eligible Location no earlier than 25 November 2020;
- Hold a valid visa, with work rights and a visa validity date for the duration of the work period if you are an international student;
- Travel more than 50 kilometres from their current place of residence to undertake eligible work;
- Show evidence of responsibility for accommodation expenses if you are applying within the Category B zone.
- Applications for individuals under 18 years of age must be completed by a parent or guardian.
What is the eligible work?
Eligible work within the Regional Jobs and Incentive Program includes work;
- In an eligible location;
- For a minimum of 20 hours per week (can be across multiple employers);
- Within the hospitality, tourism, allied health services or trade sector;
- For at least 6 weeks duration (an individual may work for more than one employer during this time, but must work at least 6 weeks in a 10 week block) with work commencing no earlier than 25 November 2020 and up to 30 April 2021);
Work must not be eligible under the Australian Government’s Managing Relocation Assistance to Take Up a Job for Short-term Agricultural Work. Eligible visa holders will need to ensure they are not in breach of any visa conditions associated with their visa.
What are the payments?
There are payments ranging from $500 up to $2,000 depending on the region you seek employment within. For more information, view the full guidelines.
How do I apply?
Applications for the current Regional Jobs Support and Incentive Program closed on 30 April 2021.
Please check back for future program announcements.